January 9, 2017
Winter 2017 Data Reporting Results from the Survey of Plans' Zone Status
The survey presents the most recent data available for all Segal multiemployer client plans.
Download the survey to learn:
- A majority of multiemployer plans are in the green zone.
- The percentage of plans in the red zone remains stable.
- Eight plans improved their zone status since the prior 12-month period.
- Nearly half of all participants are in red-zone plans, and almost one-quarter of all participants are in plans certified as “critical and declining.”
- More than half of the participants in red-zone plans are in five large plans.
- The average Pension Protection Act of 2006 funded percentage is 86 percent.
The survey report compares the latest zone-status data to data from 2008, when the first zone certifications were filed, and 2009, after the market downturn. It also shows the year in which current red-zone plans were first certified “red.”
Share this page