Segal Consulting’s latest Survey of Plans’ Zone Status presents the most recent data available for multiemployer pension clients that have January plan years and filed zone certifications by March 31, 2018.
- Most calendar-year multiemployer plans are in the green zone.
- Relatively few plans are in critical and declining status.
- Roughly two-thirds of plans in the survey have a Pension Protection Act of 2006 (PPA’06) funded percentage above 80 percent. Nearly 30 percent of plans in the survey are fully funded on that basis.
- From 2017 to 2018, 50 percent of plans improved their PPA’06 funded percentage, while 13 percent did not change and 37 percent had a lower funded percentage.
- In 2017, plans in the survey achieved a double-digit market value rate of return (net of fees) on their investments.
Compare your plan to plans in the survey.
This page will be updated in the summer to link to a report of the latest survey results.