Segal Select Insurance
When you become a trustee of a benefits plan, you agree to perform a valuable service for your fund. You also take on a tremendous responsibility – and if something goes wrong, you can be held liable.
Segal Select Insurance, a subsidiary of The Segal Group and successor to Segal’s National Fiduciary Liability Insurance Practice, understands what's at stake. We are also experts in employment practice liability insurance and cyber liability insurance. We offer extensive experience obtaining policies that offer broad coverage and competitive premium renewals.
We also publish The Fiduciary Shield: Insurance News for Plan Sponsors a periodic newsletter that discusses important topics in fiduciary liability insurance.
What is fiduciary liability insurance?
Fiduciary liability insurance protects plans and trustees against lawsuits alleging a breach of fiduciary duty as well as administrative errors or omissions. This insurance pays for defense costs, settlements and judgments. An additional waiver of recourse rider, which must be paid for with non-plan assets, ensures that trustees' personal assets are also protected from any losses.
What are fidelity bonds?
Most, if not all states, require that every fiduciary of an employee benefit plan be bonded. These bonds cover the plan from loss of assets due to fraud or dishonesty. Unlike fiduciary liability insurance, fidelity bond coverage is triggered by the discovery of the fraud or dishonesty, rather than a third party demand or lawsuit.
What is employment practice liability insurance (EPLI)?
Numerous federal and state laws address and identify illegal employment practices, such as sexual, religious, or age-based discrimination. Employment practice litigation is widespread. If the case is not properly handled, the cost of defense, along with settlements from damages, can be substantial. EPLI is designed to cover the defense, settlement, and judgment costs.
What is cyber liability insurance?
Most states have enacted laws to protect personal information. If this information is not properly protected, and accordingly breached or improperly disclosed, mandatory reporting requirements are specified. Cyber liability insurance provides limits of liability that can help pay the cost of notification, provide coverage for other associated costs and provide liability insurance protection should the plan or its fiduciaries get sued.
We specialize in fiduciary liability
Segal Select Insurance has been offering brokerage services since ERISA was enacted in 1975, and we were instrumental in developing the language of the original fiduciary liability insurance policy.
We can also help obtain associated errors and omissions insurance such as employment practices liability, identify theft coverage, and cyber liability. Through our strategic partners, we can even assist in certain traditional property and casualty insurance coverages.
A broker you can trust
Segal Select Insurance is one of the nation's most trusted brokers for fiduciary liability insurance, due to our:
- Experience: Our staff includes eight licensed insurance brokers with over 100 years of aggregate experience and an average of almost 15 years per broker. Segal Select Insurance and our professional brokers maintain requisite insurance licenses nationwide.
- Knowledge: Our clients, fund counsels and insurance carrier underwriters recognize our technical knowledge of fiduciary liability insurance. We regularly provide technical communications and host educational webinars.
- Transparency: Segal Select Insurance accepts only industry standard commissions. We neither negotiate nor accept from insurers any incentive or profit-sharing revenues. We annually disclose to our clients all commissions earned.
- Service: We strive to provide excellent client service. With our specialized knowledge, we can explain complex coverage issues, respond to inquiries, and clearly and effectively communicate the technical aspects of these coverages to your board of trustees.
- Resources: We use a proprietary and confidential fiduciary liability insurance benchmarking database that currently analyzes the activities of more than 1,000 public sector plans. Our benchmarking database – the most comprehensive of its kind can help plan sponsors decide what limit of liability to purchase and evaluate the competitiveness of a quoted premium. Because this database is updated annually, it can also help identify limit of liability and premium trends.
Our insurance brokerage services include:
- Policy review, analysis and comparisons
- Market strategy and proposed coverage specifications
- Coverage negotiations, including underwriting meetings
- Quotation communications, including recommendations
- Invoicing, premium collection and remittance to insurer
- Policy review and transmittal
- Claims processing and follow-up
- Limited claims adjustment services, including discussing claim issues, providing insights based upon our broker experience, and arranging and attending underwriter-focused claims meetings
- Q & A services, as needed
- Presentations to plan sponsors and staffs, as requested
- Periodic Segal publications and webinars
- Benchmarking for premium and limit of liability analysis
To discuss how Segal can help your plan with fiduciary liability insurance and fidelity bonds, contact us today.
Get a complimentary assessment of your plan's fiduciary liability insurance, fidelity bond, employment practice, or cyber liability insurance policy
Segal Select Insurance will review your policy and, as applicable, use our comprehensive benchmarking database to tell you how your limit of liability and premium costs compare to the market. For a complimentary policy review, contact us at email@example.com.