Our Culture/President's Message
Thank you for exploring careers at Segal.
As President and CEO of Segal, I am inspired by the professionalism, creativity, dedication, and collaborative spirit of our employees. Ours is a diverse and enterprising business, and I believe that Segal can be an exciting, challenging, and wonderful place to work if you are motivated by the characteristics that comprise Segal's culture.
As you consider Segal as a place to establish or further your career, it is important to note that no one company is right for everyone. This page contains information that you can use to determine whether your career aspirations and talents fit well with Segal's culture and strengths.
Who are we?
Segal's profile is special. It is built upon a rich history of innovation, client service, and recognized expertise in the employee benefits and HR consulting field, and it includes the following characteristics:
- Client Focused: At Segal, client focus is of paramount importance. Our clients' business objectives and priorities always form the basis for the consulting solutions we recommend. We are committed to our clients' success and work towards helping them achieve their business objectives through creative, cost-effective benefits, compensation, and human resources strategies. Whether we are doing routine work or high-level creative consulting, we take great pride in making sure that our work brings value to the client.
- Strategic Approach to Consulting: Segal's approach to consulting is a personal one, both in terms of our working relationships with clients and in offering custom rather than cookie-cutter solutions. As a professional service organization, we place a high value on creativity, quality, and achieving client satisfaction. We bring a team-oriented multi-disciplinary perspective to consulting assignments. Our consultants have broad experience as well as specialized expertise. This enables us to address a wide range of diverse issues on a number of different levels, a characteristic that we believe our clients value most about Segal's approach to consulting.
- Collaborative Work Environment: The atmosphere at Segal is collegial. Our employees are on a first-name basis with one another, and we all work with open doors. We accomplish our work through the use of teams comprised of members from various practices and parts of the country. This gives our employees the valuable opportunity to work with and learn from colleagues representing different disciplines to broaden knowledge, gain skills, and support overall professional development.
- Appreciation of and Investment in Employees: Segal listens to, recognizes, and rewards great ideas from employees at all levels of the Company. Moreover, we are committed to supporting our employees' efforts to grow to their full potential. Segal employees take ownership of mapping their careers and professional development. The Company shares this responsibility by providing both formal and informal performance feedback, offering mentoring, and supporting both internal and external education and training opportunities to help achieve professional goals.
- Independence: We are an independent company, owned by our employees. We intend to maintain our independence, which gives us the ability to implement critical business decisions quickly and give our clients unbiased consulting advice.
- The Right Size: We have offices throughout the United States and in Canada. We are large enough to be able to compete effectively with all the major HR and benefit consulting firms and agile enough to make quick decisions that allow us to bring the best thinking, resources, and skills to clients regardless of business unit or geographical location. Our size provides employees with unique opportunities to develop broad knowledge and experience, and to assume increasing responsibility as soon as they are ready.
- Deep and Broad Experience: We have more than 70 years of experience and many long-standing relationships with clients. Our clients have come to rely on our innovation, experience, and viewpoint as employee benefits, human resources, and business advisors. Segal has fully-developed consulting practices for three types of clients: corporate (through Sibson Consulting, A Division of Segal), public sector, and multiemployer. We are consultants to more multiemployer plans - plans that are jointly administered by union and employer trustees - than any other consulting firm.
What do our staff members like most about their work?
When asked what they value most about their careers, our employees provided the following responses:
- Challenge of the work
- Ability to make an impact on client organizations
- Opportunities for personal learning and growth
- Spirit of cooperation at the Company
- Feeling part of a team working toward a shared goal
Do you have what we want?
The Company looks for people who are:
- Client Champions
- Critical thinkers and Problem Solvers
- Trusted Advisors
These are the qualities that enable each employee, no matter what his or her role or experience is, to grow professionally and achieve a satisfying and rewarding level of performance at Segal.
Is it a match?
Today's employment marketplace has seen a shift in employee priorities. At Segal, we put emphasis on:
- Culture - Enjoying the people you work with, having a sense of belonging, and commitment to integrity, your colleagues, and the organization.
- Career Enrichment - Pursuing career paths that offer challenge, continuous learning, and development, and provide appropriate compensation and merit rewards for the contributions you make.
- Flexibility - Knowing that the organization you work for cares about you as a person and is sensitive to the pressures that exist outside the workplace.
If you think we can succeed together, we hope you will consider applying for a position at Segal.
Joseph A. LoCicero
President and CEO